PollDaddy is the Daddy!
I got a request today about online survey software programs from a student. They needed to create an online survey which included audio files. I thought this would be a relatively easy task, but no. Finding a free one proved difficult.
I went through all the usual options; Google Forms, SurveyMonkey, DoodlePoll, even trying quizzing programs like QuizRevolution and Hot Potatoes. But no, I still couldn’t get a questionnaire with audio attachments.
Eventually I stumbled on PollDaddy, which to my surprise is a WordPress product. It comes with the usual “standard” free survey options, but crucially it allows you to embed audio to the questionnaire.
This being a standard free survey package, it means you are limited to the usual 10 questions and only 200 responses. One other downside is it will not allow for the “full” statistical analysis, this would be a problem for me using it professionally but I suspect will suffice for most users.
In the testing of it I managed to knock this off in 10 minutes so it is very easy to use http://jamym.polldaddy.com/s/test-survey.
5/03/2013 – EDIT: You can add video files as well, I didn’t notice this at the time. But here is a test i did for a dissertation student.
In terms of its use departmentally, I can see hundreds of benefits to it. I am currently running a pilot of Google Forms for module evaluation (future blog/case study being written), and if I had known about this program 2 months ago I would have said use this instead and pay the subscription fee. I am very big on the best tool for the job, and as far as i can see PollDaddy is the daddy.
In other words, use WordPress and use PollDaddy they kick the competitions arse.
If you can afford it and have a use for it buy the full version.
The advantages are:
- Allows for greater customisation
- Easy to share: You can send link, embed, create pop up banners plus many more)
- Can be linked to Social Media
- Mobile compatible
The Disadvantages are:
- You need a WordPress account
- Can be fiddly to set up if you are not familiar with WordPress and its idiosyncrasies
- Free version limits to 10 questions and 200 responses a month (more than SurveyMonkey)
- Single sign on: Sorry not a fan of single sign on, i like a password and account for ALL my programs.
About jamymI am a Learning Technologist at the School of English at the University of Sheffield. I will mostly blog about my musings on technology and what i am up to. You can follow me on Twitter with @jamielepiorz.
Top Posts & Pages
- RT @PlashingVole: @dariodoubleL As a colleague explained, #Apple is primarily a hedge fund with a sideline in technical design. 7 hours ago
- Love the Guardian/Twitter hysteria over olive oil #FirstWorldProblems 9 hours ago
- Would this infringe copyright. A game where u r shooting up a screen at people moving down screen trying to hug you. Called, Space Invaders 10 hours ago
- Does anyone remember "Pigbag"? 13 hours ago
- Lol, twitter rage at "jif" #FirstWorldProblems It's nice that these are the things that outrage us so much #sarcasm 13 hours ago